LOCAL WEATHER
     CROPREDY VILLAGE
Welcome to the official Cropredy Village website - brought to you by the Cropredy Parish Council. We hope you find this site useful, informative, and easy to navigate. Please use the feedback link (Contact-Find Us) to let us know about things you would like to see improved or added,  in order to raise the content to a higher standard of presentation and enjoyment.  Please see our latest news HERE. Thank you for visiting.
DIRECTORY
LINKS
GALLERY
EVENTS
NEWS CROPREDY SCHOOL CONTACT-FIND US VILLAGE PLAN LOCATION MAP

Residents could lose more than
their vote

Cropredy Crier

New Webmaster for Cropredy

Mobile Library

Shires Edge Benefice Services

 

 

                        

                                          OXFORD CANAL                           (Jodie Cooling Photo)      

Inportant Updates

Antiques @ The Holt

Residents to receive visit about electoral register

Cherwell District Council Information

 

Cropredy lies in the Cherwell valley some 3 miles north of Banbury and Junction 11 of the M40 Motorway. The Oxford Canal and the River Cherwell both flow in parallel through this ancient village. The settlement of Cropredy is mentioned in the Domesday Book and was the site of the Civil War 'Battle of Cropredy Bridge' in 1644. The building of the canal system, between 1769 and 1790 brought trade to the village. It was originally constructed to transport goods from the Midlands to Oxford, and thence via the River Thames to London. In modern times leisure has become the number one industry and Cropredy has proved to be a most popular stopping point along the waterway network. There are excellent moorings, both temporary and permanent, together with fresh water and waste disposal facilities. A very well stocked waterside shop provides everything one could possibly need. In recent years we have seen an increase in canal boat dwellers, and currently there are about eight families who live permanently on the water and send their children to the local school and integrate generally into village life. A new, 248 berth Marina has recently been constructed and is now fully up and running - read more.

 

There are a number of families who can trace their roots back for hundreds of years. Cropredy has a population of about 750 people with 325 houses constructed in both the local Hornton Stone and red brick. The village comprises a mixture of housing and income groups, from the Local Authority Senior Citizens bungalows to a small number of larger imposing properties. They range in age from pre Civil War to developments within the last 5 years. Brasenose College in nearby Oxford owns property including one of the local pubs - The Brasenose Arms. There are several delightful older properties enhancing the area with a Traditional Thatched roof such as the one pictured here.

 

Among the amenities are a GENERAL STORE, a modern DOCTORS SURGERY with a dispensary and a Chiropractic facility. There are TWO PUBLIC HOUSES, a VILLAGE HALL and a great many thriving Clubs and Societies. An Amateur Dramatic Society, Canoe Club, Film Society, the very popular Historical Society and a Womens Institute to name but a few. See Directory for the full range. All these social outlets contribute towards making this village sought after by people moving to the area. THE POST OFFICE is now situated within the Red Lion PH

 

We are very proud of our mainly 14C Church which lies at the heart of the village. It has some beautiful stained glass and a Lady Chapel dedicated to St. Fremund. The Tower has a full ring of eight bells, the last two of which were added in June 2007, and there is a very enthusiastic team of bell ringers. An excellent C of E Primary School is a part of daily life - about 150 pupils attend. The Mothers and Toddlers Group meets each Monday in the Church Rooms. The Vicar holds a Play and Praise Group for youngsters on Thursday afternoons during term time. A Luncheon Club was set up by the Church some 16 years ago to offer meals to the over 60's within the Benefice and these are cooked and served by teams of volunteers who also provide transport to the venue when necessary.

 

The Methodist Chapel was built in 1881 following the Wesley revival and remains a focal point of Village affairs. Prior to 1881 services were held in the adjacent property (formerly the Post Office). Enthusiastic Methodists raised the money to build the spacious and attractive edifice we now see. The present Membership includes a Sunday Club for young people. There is a strong bond of unity between Church and Chapel worshippers. The adjacent Chapel Schoolroom provides excellent facilities for meetings and similar functions and is used on a regular basis by the Historical Society.

 

Cropredy has a wonderful sense of community spirit, which is felt by all who visit. Its life is enriched by the many visitors who come via the Canal and, since 1976, by the twenty thousand plus who flock here each August to enjoy the Music Festival organised and performed by the Fairport Convention. We are very fortunate to have an excellent Sports Field on which Cricket, Football and Tennis (hard courts) may be enjoyed. A modern Pavilion with extensive facilities also provides a free 24hr parking area, on which, a very useful bottle bank has recently been installed. This entire site is protected by the very latest CCTV equipment. The pavilion is fully equipped and licensed and may be hired for functions.

 

There is an excellent, dedicated Children's Play Area with many practical facilities available - also planted with various trees and other memorabilia donated by past residents. Newspapers and milk can still be delivered to your doorstep. A Mobile Library comes fortnightly and a Mobile Butcher on Wednesdays and Saturdays. A Fishmonger also makes regular visits. An excellent Caravan Park and Camping site can be found just over a mile away. The village residents are kept very well up to date on what is happening around about them - The Cropredy Crier, delivered to every letter box monthly keeps them abreast of the news. The current Editor, Les Tustian, has been putting it all together since 2000 as a labour of love. This is what village life is all about.

The Government wants all rural communities to set out their vision for the future in a plan. These plans set out what each community wants and needs over the next ten to fifteen years. The Cropredy Village Plan has now been drawn up and it sets out what the community agrees is desirable, affordable and achievable in future. Now it has been completed, it will be regularly up-dated and the Plan will be taken seriously by the local authorities and other agencies that provide services to the Cropredy community. The Village Plan will also help the Parish Council to achieve its aims in securing the services that the Cropredy community needs and in preserving its character and spirit. Go directly to the Village Plan details HERE.

 

Cropredy Parish Council extend a warm welcome to all visitors - come and see us soon!

 

(return to top)