- Cropredy Parish Council
Welcome to the Cropredy Village website, the official website of Cropredy Parish Council.
This website was re-launched in 2016, and we thank our previous website administrators, Bryan Lillywhite and Jim Wernham for their time and efforts in supporting our village in this way.
The village of Cropredy, on the River Cherwell, has its roots in Anglo-Saxon times and its name is thought to be derived from the Old English word "croppe" - meaning hill and "ridig" - small stream. The village and its manor were mentioned in the Domesday Book (1086) and before the Reformation it was part of the estate held by the Bishop of Lincoln. The Church of St. Mary the Virgin dates from the 13th Century with additions in the 14th and 15th centuries. There is evidence of an earlier Church on the same site. The South Chapel is dedicated to St.Fremund who, according to legend, was the son of Offa of Mercia. Further information on the history of Cropredy is available in the 'Our Village' pages of this website.
Summary of further pages on this website:
Our Village - Links to more details of the history of Cropredy and links to local amenities and services within the village.
Events - What's on - Links to our monthly newsletter, the Cropredy Crier, the monthly village diary and other events in the village.
Clubs and Societies - Links to sport and social clubs within the village
Local Council - Links to the Parish, District and County Councils, including agendas and minutes of the Parish Council meetings.
Village Directory - Information and links to local businesses, industry and suppliers.